Saturday, June 21, 2008

Drawing Near

Last post was on how much God wants to be with us, and why we should draw near. I thought that I should expand a little bit more than I did there on how to draw near. Please forgive me if it sounds a little elementary. I am trying to make this as easy to understand as possible.

First let me just say one thing: Relax!!! This is not hard.

Some of the more commonly mentioned problems with prayer is that nothing seems to happen, and that it is hard to pray for long extended periods of time. This is not hard.

There are two problems mentioned there.

Firstly is that nothing seems to happen. Firstly let me tell you that a young man named Daniel once prayed for 21 days with prayer and fasting before he got an answer. Usually we give up too soon, or we do not even try in the first place. The other thing that causes people not to get answers is this: A double minded person can expect to receive nothing from God.

The other often heard is that praying for a long time is hard. Again think of it as a friendship. I do not pray for long, painful, extended periods of time. I just talk to God all day. He is your friend. Just talk to Him about everything... and then sometimes wait to see if He will say something back. You might be surprised at His responses. If you are okay with the idea pray in tongues for a change. I have some friends that I can talk to for hours... literally. How about a 45 minute phone call, that gets interrupted, so you call back and talk for another hour... yeah I did that once. We would have talked for longer if we did not have to go. My point is that God is not boring, you just have to get to know Him and then all sorts of things will come out!!!

No comments: